Sweet Potato, Brussel Sprouts, and Chicken Casserole
Original Recipe Credit: Healthy Chicken Casserole
Adapted Recipe Below
Printable Version Click Here: Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 2 1/2 c. wild rice, cooked according to package instructions (I used my rice cooker)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1.5 lb. brussel sprouts, quartered
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup c. chicken broth
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9X13 baking dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper per your preferences (if you have any type of heart disease make sure you don’t add too much salt, recommendations are less than 2,000mg/day of salt. Add chicken to skillet and cook for (about) 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through (always temp your meat, chicken should reach 165 degrees). Let rest for 10 minutes, then cut each breast into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, sweet potato and brussels sprouts. Season with thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and cover for an additional 5-10minutes.
- Mix in prepared rice, prepared chicken and cranberries. Transfer mixture to baking dish, top with sliced almonds, and bake 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
Cinthia Scott, Registered Dietitian, LD, CNSC